Are you an artist?
Enter your creative pieces in the HJA 2018 Design Competition!
Hawaii Jewelers Association Members are invited to participate in this annual event that showcases the best Hawaii jewelry designers have to offer.
The Hawaii Jewelers Association is proud to celebrate another year of Hawaii’s jewelry designers with our Annual Jewelry Design Competition. We encourage you to share your original jewelry creations from the past year along with your inspiration in creating these pieces with your fellow HJA members.
Finalists and Winners will be announced at our Annual Banquet on April 28, 2018 at the beautiful Oahu Country Club.
There are 4 categories to compete in; Jewelry Under $3,500, Jewelry $3,500 and Over, Hawaiian Theme Jewelry, and Estate Jewelry.
The designer of the piece with the overall highest total points is also awarded Designer of The Year and will receive an entry into the 2019 Hong Kong International Jewelry Design Excellence Award.
This design competition is locally and nationally recognized.
DESIGN COMPETITION RULES & INFORMATION
The four competition categories that entrants may submit pieces for are:
- Jewelry Under $3,500 Any jewelry design with a retail price under $3,500
- Jewelry $3,500 and over Any jewelry design with a retail price of $3,500 and over
- Hawaiian Theme Jewelry Any jewelry designed with a Hawaiian theme or inspired by Hawaii.
- Estate Jewelry Any estate jewelry piece. Entries will be subject to a “People’s Choice” only vote.
Except for the Estate Jewelry category, a panel of three judges will score each entry. The entries will be evaluated in the following criteria with maximum points for each noted:
Criteria Maximum Points
- Overall Design 40
- Marketability 20
- Practicality/Wearability 20
- Craftsmanship 20
Each judge will award a maximum of 100 points for the entry. The points of all three judges will tallied to determine the winner. There will be three places awarded for each category. Each winner will receive a Koa framed award certificate with your company’s name and be featured on our website, social media, and other industry news.
The piece with the overall highest total points will also be awarded Designer of The Year.
Design Competition Rules
- Except for the Estate Jewelry category, all jewelry must be original and designed by a HJA member in good standing at the time of the competition.
- Except for the Estate Jewelry category, the entry piece must have been produced within the last 18 months.
- Only precious metals (gold, silver, or platinum) may be used.
- All gem stones must be genuine. Any enhancement or treatments must be fully disclosed.
- An individual may enter a maximum of one entry in each competition. There is no limit to the number of individual designers entering who are employed by the same firm.
- All entrants waive any and all claims against the Hawaii Jewelers Association (HJA), its individual members, officers, or any HJA representative, associate or employee for any issue arising from the handling, condition, loss or theft of the jewelry being submitted for competition entry.
- The entry piece(s) must be delivered by Thursday, April 19, 2018 to Opal Fields.
- All competition entry piece(s) are to be submitted with a completed and signed competition application form indicating that the entrant has reviewed, understands, and agrees with all the competition rules.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, please pay in full to Hawaii Jewelers Association.
Please contact Sophia Makaimoku-Young & Bernard Nunies, Executive Directors for more information via email @
or by phone (808) 536-4255